Friday, December 29, 2006

Andrea hard at work at the downstairs bar

Wallenbeck's Bar & Grill

Well the time came for me to join the land of the working joe. Now when you visit Antigua's most gringo bar/restaurant you'll have the option of being served by Andrea upstairs or by me at the downstairs bar. I've worked just about a week and a half and have enjoyed it as well. Like Andrea said we speak a decent amount of Spanish between the waitstaff and customers. Its a nice change from classes as well, because not only do people not correct me, they praise my "really good" Spanish! Ok so maybe they are buttering me up for stronger drinks, or just don't expect extranjero's to speak Spanish at all.

Favorite memories thus far:
1. Every time I make a White Russian I smile and think of The Dude.
2. I've met the "star" soccer player for the local team, jungle biologist from Peten, Canadian film maker, and lots of other nice people from everywhere in the world.
3. The strange "I need a bag of ice to keep my insulin cold" man whose been visiting recently.
4. Singing "Sweet Caroline" at the big down stairs bar with a rowdy bunch.
5. All the free food I get to eat everyday....yum. I've even been eating lots of delicious salads which can cost travelers dearly if they aren't lucky. Our restaurant is super clean and safe though.
6. I don't know if this is a good memory, but it certainly was crazy, I worked the "ladies Bar" on ladies night where ladies cocktails are only 3 Q. It was mayhem, hundreds of women yelling, sometimes angry, pushing and I might add not tipping at all. But I was hit on by a very old Guatemalan lady which was kind of sweet.

Adios, Luke

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome...now both of you are there mixing the drinks. The pictures look great and the Christmas story was great. Wish we could be there...or you here. :)

Blessings this year!

Jeremy

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the dude abides

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi andrea! i can't believe that you live in antigua. it must be so different from the states. what made you decide to move there? just thought i would say hi and i hope that all is well........

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Andrea,

Remember me? I'm envious of how hip and cosmopolitan and world-travelling you guys are. While I live in the suburbs, drive a mini-van, and still think alocohol tastes like medicine. But I can't complain, God has been good to us. And it looks like you guys are having fun. By the way, why are you learning Spanish in Guatemala?

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so proud! happy new year.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Luke! I'm glad that Ol' Mama has verified that you haven't lost your machismo. But how do you explain the lousy tips?

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home